Under the supervision of the Lead Level Designer, the Senior Level Designer will be responsible for building and maintaining the different worlds of our new game. With many years of experience, deep knowledge of level design techniques, and an outstanding sense of aesthetic in creating strong narrative video game worlds, the Senior Level Designer will be working closely with the Lead level designer and artists to build awe-inspiring levels.
role and responsibilities
- Create levels from the early conception phase (greybox blockouts) to the final visual polish;
- Design the layout of maps with a keen eye on narrative beat and navigation density;
- Provide a direction to the artists in creating memorable locations in the gameworld;
- Prototype new innovative gameplay ingredients, game modes, and integrate them in the game world;
- Work effectively in a collaborative environment, providing input and regular feedback.
qualifications & experiences
- A minimum of 10 years of video game designing experience;
- Experience shipping multiple indies or AAA titles as a level designer or similar capacity;
- Experience using a 3D level editor (UE4, or similar);
- Direct involvement with prop placement, lighting mood/atmosphere, and design block-outs;
- A keen sense of performance limitations (optimization, streaming, LODs, etc);
- Visual scripting experience (Blueprints, for example).
- A proven ability to work in a team environment and communicating with artists & programmers;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in both French and English;
- Experience with procedural level generation;
- Experience working on sandbox environments;
- Experience working on narrative games;
- A demonstrated ability to improvise and creatively solve problems.
Scavengers Studio (creators of Darwin Project) is an indie video game studio created in 2015 with the mission to create, produce, and distribute brand new original IPs. Scavengers is a passionate collective of AAA, indie, and freelancers who aspire to push the boundaries of interactive media, to create new experiences in the medium. United by our desire to expand what’s possible in the medium, both in the form – underlying technology and design – and the content – narrative and tone.
Please apply at firstname.lastname@example.org by sending your resume and any relevant materials.
During the COVID-19 period, we are a fully-online team with no central headquarters at this time. Communication is mostly done via Google Hangout, Slack and JIRA. Our office is usually located at 3451 boul. Saint-Laurent, Montréal (QC).
Please apply before November 29, 2020. If selected, the next step will be a video call interview.
This is a full-time permanent position.
- Competitive salary, benefits and vacation;
- Great work-life balance, we limit crunch as much as possible.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in Canada.
- Scavengers Studio is an equal opportunity employer. We offer the same accessibility to employment without distinction of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation and age.