intermediate level designer
Under the supervision of the Design Director, the Level Designer will be responsible for building and maintaining the different maps of the game.
role & responsibilities
- Through prototyping, explore and propose gameplay scenarios and ideas that leverage existing features and ingredients in exciting ways;
- Based on the most promising prototypes, build maps that will offer unique, varied and satisfying gameplay experiences;
- Work with the environment artist to define the map’s aesthetic and production needs;
- Be responsible for all the gameplay quality elements such as pacing, ergonomy, difficulty, aesthetics and navigation;
- Provide feedback on existing features, components and mechanics to help developers improve the game;
- Prototype new innovative gameplay ingredients, game modes, enemies and scenarios;
- In collaboration with the Creative Director, script and integrate narrative and story elements;
- Identify main issues in maps and develop a plan of action to solve them.
- A minimum of 5 years as a level designer or similar capacity;
- Experience shipping multiple indies or AAA titles;
- Experience using a 3D level editor (UE4, or similar);
- Emphasis on ergonomy and player’s experience;
- Strong sense of pacing, navigation, and gameplay flow;
- Visual scripting experience such as blueprints;
- Creative problem solving;
- Interpersonal skills and team spirit;
- Resourcefulness and adaptability;
- Positive and curious attitude;
- Concern for quality;
- Initiative and autonomy;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Good communication skills in both French and English;
- A passion for video games.
about the studio
Founded in 2015 in Montreal, Scavengers Studio is an independent video game studio bringing together a diverse team of daring creators. The company launched their first game Darwin Project, 3 years later. The studio experienced a wind of change in 2019, as cofounder Amélie Lamarche became the chief executive officer, giving birth to their second project called Season.
Designing and imagining all of the video games they produce, this multidisciplinary group aims to provide unique experiences to its players through unique worlds. Pushing aside conventions, the studio is a playground that stands out for its variety of perspectives, a place where challenge and collaboration are the basis of creation.
This position will primarily be working on an unannounced project.
apply through email
Please apply at firstname.lastname@example.org by sending your resume, portfolio and any relevant materials.
During the COVID-19 period, we are a fully-online team with no central headquarters at this time. Our office is usually located at 3451 boul. Saint-Laurent, Montréal (QC).
- Competitive salary
- Benefits and vacation
- Great work-life balance, we limit crunch as much as possible.
Please apply before January 23, 2022. If selected, the next step will be a video call interview.
This is a full-time permanent position.
Applicants must be authorized to work in Canada.
Scavengers Studio is an equal opportunity employer. We offer the same accessibility to employment without distinction of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation and age.